Saturday, June 19, 2021

When I am old.

 

Best I could do in a pinch
No purple, or red hat
Just Sweetie

When I Am Old.

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me,
And I shall spend my pension
on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals,
and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I am tired,
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells,
And run my stick along the public railings,
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other people's gardens,
And learn to spit.
You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat,
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go,
Or only bread and pickle for a week,
And hoard pens and pencils and beer mats
and things in boxes.
But now we must have clothes that keep us dry,
And pay our rent and not swear in the street,
And set a good example for the children.
We will have friends to dinner and read the papers.
But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me
are not too shocked and surprised,
When suddenly I am old
and start to wear purple!

Jenny Joseph
When I am old .. I shall wear purple!

Because I had mentioned the Poem, "Warning", I thought I'd find a picture that might give you and idea what Sweetie might look like if she was in purple and red. 


It is like a soft breeze that goes through me, when I think about the way life might have been. Dementia as stolen those dreams, the joyful plans the couples make. For when the cares of raising a family, watching our children become adults, and hoping for nothing but the best for them. 


We did have a taste of that, before we were too far down the Road to Dementia Town, and it was nice. Travel, sight see, not to be tied down to cares and worries like before. I should not bemoan what isn't. I should rejoice that we had that precious time. For some is better than none. 


Saturday 


It was and it wasn't like what I'd hope it would be. Our lady hurt herself on Friday, and couldn't come and take care of Sweetie. I have to expect those happenings. I'm going to suggest that she and our other lady, work things out, so I'm not left hanging. 


It turned out for the best. I felt that this was a good time to give Sweetie a shampoo and shower. That is what we did. After sitting her down on the shower chair, getting her hair wet and soapy, the job was done with a minimum of complaints. 


After I got her dressed and sitting on the couch, she was shivering. So, wrapped her up in a light blanket to keep her warm. I am surprised that she gets that cold. I know I have the house at 75F degrees, and she is cold. Going to move it up 1 degree, and see if it helps. 


After breakfast, she went back to bed, and I headed for the course. Knowing that she will be in bed, makes it easy for me. Cameras on, and I'm good. 


When I got home, I'd been talking about giving her another haircut. After lunch, put the stool in the kitchen, and she got on it, no questions asked, and I got the clippers out. I've gotten over worrying about making mistakes, and away we went. I think it looks good, so in a couple of days, it will look better. 


When I got home, she was still asleep. We are moving into the sleeping stage. On our last doctor visit, we talked about her sleeping as much as she is and should I be worried about it.


The consensuses is it a progression, and she will be spending more and more time in bed, and so it goes. 


I remember there was a time when Sweetie had volunteered to read to a lady that was in her 90's. She would tell me that as she read, she would fall asleep, wake up, and then repeat. It looks like she is heading in that direction.


I've decided that because she can no longer do the golf and walk about, I've chose one, the walk about. I think it will be the better of the two. Its later in the day, and I won't be too worried if she has one of her fainting spell. Also, because we two laps around the mall, I can cut it down to where her abilities allow her to be. Just another mile stone in our travel. 


Evenings are still the best part of our day, still able to cuddle, watch TV, and feed her cookies. Love this bit of loverhood that we have left. 


"Loverhood?" asked Driver. I never heard that before, it is a good word for us. He likes the creativity of it. It colors our time with joy, and it is good. For we are on our way, traveling down the Road to Dementia Town, and with joy in the car, we are Keeping Our Shiny Side Up. C'ya, Luv Ya, and God Bless.   

No comments:

A fitting farewell.

When we were young. I've been rummaging around and found this picture of Sweetie and me. We had been married for about a year when this...