Friday, November 26, 2021

The perfect lady.

Thanksgiving 2021


Being that it was Thanksgiving, I wanted Sweetie to wear something special. I got her special hat to wear. It was just right for the occasion. It beat wearing baseball caps. Think I'll have her wear it more often now for when we go out. 

It is when we are at these family gatherings, that I have a need to pay special attention to her. At one point in the meal, she picked up the gravy, and was about to take a sip out of it, as if it was a cup of coffee. I had to move quickly to take it away from her, and move it down the table from her. Out of sight, out of mind. 

While doing all of this, I would like to be able to have my time with the group. I feel that I can't fully engage in the conversation, for I have to keep vigil with what she is up to. It seems as long as I keep food on her plate, she is happy, and when she is happy, I'm happy. 

Thursday

We have a busy day ahead of us, so I want to make as sure as I can, that Sweetie is rested. 

When I go in, she looks up and smiles. Then the first hurdle come up. She doesn't want to get up. That is fine, for it is still early and I have other things to do. 

When I went back to get her the second time, I won't take "No" for an answer. With my instance, she is up. Because of her not wanting to get up, she is out of balance for a little bit. Holding on to her, she soon regains her balance. 

Today, I give her a sponge bath while she is on the potty. Because she doesn't have a dirty bottom, it makes more sense than a shower this morning. 

Wanting her to look her best, I again, get out her long sleeve pink shirt and pants. Marvelous, simple marvelous she looks. 

I am bringing yams to the feast. Having never made them before, I do what I think will work best. Draining the juice from them, into a glass pan, sprinkle pecans on, finish with butter and brown sugar. Pour some juice back in, and into the oven at 350 for about a half hour. 

So far, so good. Now to get Sweetie her breakfast. She is drinking her coffee without hesitation, and so I better get her cereal ready. 

Cereal, OJ, and toast for her, and while she is eating, I'm making the bed, doing a load of laundry, and getting myself ready to go. 

Because of the time we have on our hands, we head for the course. Nothing like a cool fall day with blue skies to be on the links. Bundle Sweetie up in my attempt to keep her warm. Her right hand is atrophying into a fist which she cannot open. I put a glove on her left hand, and put a sweat sock on her right. It works and her hands keep warm. 

Back home, we have a lite lunch, for the Thanksgiving meal is only hours away. In the meantime, I attempt to finish the yams. Putting them back in the oven, with the broiler on, I wait for them to warm up. Well, then ended up getting the pecans too warm, and some of them were burnt. 

Pulling them out, covered with marshmallows, and back in they went. That was my big mistake, because I got busy with Sweetie, and when I got back, the marshmallows looked like campfire marshmallows. Too bad, took them anyway. I think only Sweetie and myself had any of them. They turned out pretty good after all. If I do this again next year, I won't make as us as I did this year. Plus, I have some experience in what to do. 

After we got home, we had one more outing to make. I let Sweetie take a nap, a good and bad thing. When I went back to get her, she was very confused as to where she was, what she was doing, and who I was. 

The only thing I could do was to guide her to get ready to go. Giving her a dose of CBD, we headed out to our last outing of the day. 

It turned out to be a very good meeting, there were four of us, and we had a lively share time. The only reason for us to be there, is that the holiday season is hard on some people that don't have anywhere to go, and we offer support for them. 

Meeting over, head for home and bed. Sweetie is ready, and into bed she goes and I soon follow. 

It was the best day I could have hoped for. Sweetie was the perfect lady this day, as we headed down the Road to Dementia Town. Giving thanks for our driver, the time on the road, and the ability to Keep Our Shiny Side Up, no matter what. C'ya, Luv Ya and I hope you all had a very good Thanksgiving. God Bless you until tomorrow.  Arthur.       
 

No comments:

A fitting farewell.

When we were young. I've been rummaging around and found this picture of Sweetie and me. We had been married for about a year when this...