Saturday, November 27, 2021

Soon all is well.

Us again.


It was one of those days. A day in which I didn't have too much confidence in what was going to happen. Because of this strange and never the same disease, it keeps me on my heels most of the time. Then again, there are the patterns of some resemblance of normalcy.

I've mentioned how there are times when she seems not affected by her Dementia. Where she will hold my hand, talk and answer my questions, or when we are walking, she will chime in. These are the good times with her. 

Then there are days like yesterday. Days when she is nonresponsive. She doesn't seem to know who I am, and will sit for hours staring at the TV, or out the window. When I can get her attention, she has a blank look on her face. 

When those times come, I am always afraid that she has slipped down to another level of her disease. I know they are coming, and I'm afraid that I won't be able to cope with the new Sweetie. 

Friday

This morning started well enough. Didn't have too much difficulties with getting her going. On the bright side, she didn't leak through her liner this morning. So, I didn't have to strip the bed or get another top sheet. 

She seemed "OK" this morning. All went well until she was done with breakfast, and I was trying to get her ready to come with me. She wasn't having anything to do with that idea. She kept slapping my hand away, and wouldn't budge. 

Thinking, "Here we go again." a time of what to do. Knowing that she is safe, thinking that she will get tired of sitting at the table, and then go to her nest, and when she is in one of these moods, there isn't anything I can do, except to let it play itself out.

On the course, I met and played with an older gentleman, who was a good golfer, and he smoked cigars. That is something that I cannot do, smoke and play. I quit smoking many years ago and that is something that I wasn't able to do. 

Had a good round, some good shots, some pars, and one birdy. 

Back home, I found Sweetie sitting at the table where I left her. That is something new. When I spoke to her, I get this blank stare, "Who are you?" stare. 

I have to become the strong person to get her off the chair. Once she is moving, she follows. In the bathroom, she is acting very tired. Finished it is nap time. 

The nap was just what the doctor ordered. I had a couple of errands to run, so off I went. When I returned, she was still sleeping. She slept for over two hours and when she got up, she was more her old self. 

It seemed safe enough for us to head for the mall and our walk about. It was when we got to the mall, I remembered that it is "Black Friday", and the mall is very crowded. Undaunted, we head in and did our walk about. 

In the car, she is holding my hand, singing Christmas carols that are playing on the radio, and all seems well. 

At one point she gets irritable, refuses to take her CBD, and I know that is the time she needs it. Again, playing the parent, I get her to take it. Soon all is well. 

We finished our night, and went to bed. When I crawled in with her, she was right there, holding my hand, and pressing herself against me. Prayers, kiss, and let sleep overtake us. 

It was a bumpy day on the Road to Dementia Town. Driver was able to find as many smooth parts as He could. It wasn't too bad, and as I watched the bumps and potholes head our way, I knew we would find that stretch of road where we would be able to Keep Our Shiny Side Up. C'ya, Luv Ya, and God Bless.         
 

No comments:

A fitting farewell.

When we were young. I've been rummaging around and found this picture of Sweetie and me. We had been married for about a year when this...